Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Malaga

I have always struggled with grey skies, cold weather and damp. So my first trip to Spain was a revelation - after leaving a typical dull day in London, I don't think I will ever forget the wonder of  endless clear blue sky, warm sun and, as our rattling bus bumped along endless dusty roads, driving past groves of lemon trees. Who knew lemons grew on trees? I certainly didn't! It was the beginning of a love affair that has lasted my whole life.
So this year, when my friend Karen asked "How about visiting Spain?" I couldn't dig my passport out fast enough.
First stop was Malaga, birthplace of Picasso. 
Malaga is often neglected by tourists, who only ever see the airport; arriving in their thousands, trailing beach towels and smelling of suntan lotion, they stampede straight to the sweat-soaked sands of the Costa del Sol. And I would admit, Malaga used to look a little, shall we say, feisty? But over the last few years, many millions of Euros have been invested in the city. Now it has been cleaned up a bit, it has a wonderful energy, wide boulevards, gorgeous buildings and more shoe shops than I've ever seen anywhere. It's definitely worth a visit.
The market, hidden away off the main street.

Dragon fruit!



World's biggest beer bottle.









1 comment:

geezer said...

loved the "weird" statuary!