Friday, September 25, 2015

Journey to Kos

Every day, during the day, several local voluntary organisations show up  with food, water and fruit, and sometimes with sleeping bags and tents. So the  people who are already here are well looked after, all things considered.
But the only organisation who show up to look after the newcomers when they land at night is Kos Solidarity, and that's the group I've thrown my hat in with.
The boats have to leave the Turkish coast after dark, so the coastguard don't see them. In a boat with a motor, it's a 25 minute trip. But it's expensive. 2500 Euros per person ( I think that's about £2000 or $3000 but my brain is fried so feel free to check the math).
The other boats- the rotted wooden ones ones that fall apart or the rubber dinghies- that take up to 6 hours to arrive- if they do at all. And when the occupants stagger ashore they then have to walk to the Police station to register. Depending where they land, that can be 5-6 kilometres (3 miles).
Imagine that. Risking your life on a dark deep sea and then when you scramble ashore- a nice little hike to complete the evening.
So every night several volunteers meet near the Police Station with bottles of water, food, warm clothing - and a smile.
Because you can never tell when the boats will land, the graveyard shift behind at Midnight and ends when no-one can stay awake.
I did it for the first time last night. I only lasted 'til 3.30, but the others stayed 'til 6 am. Tonight I'll do it again. It probably sounds hard to do- but let me say, apart from the boredom of standing around, it's really not.
The supplies.

The Kos Solidarity van

Volunteers and the supplies

2 comments:

locationgoddess said...

Not sure where my original comment went but as I've followed the coverage of Pope Francis here in the States his message has been one of humility and humanity; help the disinfranchised and follow the Golden Rule. You are epitomizing his words and deeds and I couldn't admire you anymore than I do for going to Kos to help!!!!

geezer said...

She's all that & a bag of chips!