Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Billy Mays, a good friend, a true gentleman and America's favourite pitchman.

Billy Mays, 1958-2009.


In the last couple of years, Billy has become America's favourite pitchman. Through the medium of TV his voice has permeated living rooms across not only the US and Canada, but also here in the UK. He's become a star. But to his friends, and he has lots of them, Billy's always been a star.

I met Billy on the show circuit about twenty years ago. He got the nickname 'Bucket' because he was always hauling pails of water around for the Washmatik, an English invention. That's him with Robin, who came over to the States from the UK to teach everyone the pitch.






Working shows is fun but it's also a lot of work and there's always something either going wrong, or missing. You could ask Billy for help any time and he'd never make you feel bad about it. He was there for his buddies. He'd have a twinkle in his eye, even at the end of those sweat-soaked 12 hour days on the fairgrounds, when the thermometer never went below 80.



The photo at the top of this post was taken at the Big E in Springfield, Mass. I forget which year. When he was working, you could hear Billy all over the building. And when it was quiet, he'd sometimes do his flying turtle impression. He'd fling himself across the 'guzunder' box and, with the mike almost in his mouth, make a noise like a mad motorbike while waving his arms about. It was hysterical. Drove the humourless old witch who ran the building absolutely mad. And watching her, watching him,was pretty funny, too.

In that first photo he's pitching the salsa maker. What do you think he's saying to that couple in the front? Maybe the guy doesn't want to spring. I bet Billy's telling the wife: 'Listen honey, if he says No to you now, you say No to him later- he'll be back tomorrow to get one', or some cheeky comment; you never knew what was coming next.



Billy was an incredibly generous guy. When he moved to Clearwater, he rented a big house with 5 or 6 bedrooms, right by the beach. There was an open invitation for friends to come and stay; he liked to share the good things in his life. We called it 'the Mays Inn'. There was always beer in the fridge and pizza for dinner. The only house rule was- you couldn't touch the TV remote. Billy loved to watch sport on his massive TV and nothing was allowed to interfere with that.

He really lived life to the max. It was great to see his success on TV. And I don't know a single person who begrudged him it. It was magic to switch on the set and see Billy, carrying on about some new gadget or cleaner. You know the phrase 'Larger than life'? Well, that was Billy Mays.

I haven't seen Billy for a few years and was surprised at how hard his passing has hit me. But just because you haven't seen someone in a while doesn't mean you stop caring about them. You might not see some of your friends on the show circuit for quite a while, months, years even- it's transient work which takes everyone in different directions; but the joy of meeting up again never diminishes. And it was always a pleasure to find Billy Mays at the set-up of another show.


I've written this post because I can't to make it to Bill's funeral. So this is my way of saying 'good-bye' to a great guy and a good friend. I know I won't be the only one who can't get there, so if you're reading this and you'd like to leave a comment, especially if you knew Billy, I'll make sure his family get to see whatever you write. Thanks.

Billy Carroll (in the photo above, also taken at the Big E) very kindly sent me some photos and while I try to make everything on this blog my own work, I've used two of them here, the one with the Washmatik and Bill resting. Many Thanks, BC.









5 comments:

wallynash said...

Billy Mays! Billy Mays is gone!

Many knew him as the loud, brash, Two Minute Commercial Pitchman. Like Maggie, I knew him as Bucket Billy.

I met him more years ago than I care to remember. He was a sort of a Hick from Pittsburg. Down on his luck with a litle bit of wife trouble in the background. He had a young son he really couldn't afford to support. A friend of his invited to work some fairs as a way of making a living. I worked with him and helped teach im the Washmatik or "Wankomatic" we used to call it

He had the heart of a Lion and worked like a Bull There are two conflicting metaphors if you like. He quickly outstripped me at work, he was so strong a worker.

The rest, as they say is history. Max Appel and Billy found each other. I'm not sure that it was always an amicable relationship but they used each other. Billy went from strength to strength. He made the short form his own territory. He worked far harder than any man I know and seemed to enjoy every minute of it. He really was and is an Icon. He was and is the Man of our times in the electronic media. It is many years since we worked together. We have lived on opposit Coasts for years. But I won't forget him easily.

Here's to Billy Mays. Here's to Bucket Billy. God Bless You Sunshine!

I can see him ow standing on a Cloud - Pissing on all of his Be -backs

Wait for me Billy

Wally Nash

geezer said...

Billy Mays was larger than life & left a big hole when he left.

I met him twice, once in Toronto where he showed me some of the zigs for the Washmatik and again at the Wisconsin State Fair where i had the distinct pleasure of working the joint with him. Even tho he pork chopped me i didn't really mind as i learned a lot from him & he was a fun guy to be around.

Very outgoing, generous and a work ethic that would kill a lesser man, he'll be sorely missed.

He's probably got an end of aisle cap up there...

Anonymous said...

The Epitome of a Pitchman
Like everyone else, I was shocked to hear of Billy's passing. It has been years since I've seen Billy, but he was "one of the good guys". I was married to Wally Emberson-Nash at the time I knew Billy and enjoyed watching the two of them work together at fairs - the mature(?) and polished next to the young and enthusiastic. Always had a smile and was as pleasant a person as you could know. I think anyone that knew and worked with him was very proud of him to see how far he went in life. He brought a little honor to the title "pitchman". He will be missed by all.

Billy, if the pearly gates don't open for me, I hope you are there to talk St. Peter into opening it!

Susie Petersen

billy said...

Billy Mays! They say it's in the water.Whatever it is who am I to question having myself grown up in Phila Pa.I had worked for several years on Atlantic City's boardWalk and can tell you whatever is in water he and I became friends instantly.He was brought into our close group from his buddy and neighbor also from the Rocks. To most of us a far off land called Mc Kees Rocks.It's a burgh not to far from Big City Pittsburgh.Billys friend (Mikey Jones) AKA Big Dog had drank plenty of water for both he and I.It was in the later 70's he was accepted by the Duch'ess of the group a lady of great presence and more importantly savvy Rosie Ross .Our school a pier built to look like a ship it attracted hundreds of thousands of people from far and near He sharpened his skills as we all had.Billy started with the Vibrating pillows and as many did encouraged shoppers to sit and rest on his chairs with the colourful pillows that operated by battries.Whatever was ailing them he with those goodlooks and smile was a natural he then went on to other things on the pier.Then his big chance came the WashMatic that with just one bucket you could wash away whatever sins you had.With his personality you had to have one. As my friend Wally Nash mentioned he was Herculean and had found his notch.To know Billy was to love him but he was such a Klutz always slepping a sliding on joint but end result sold. At that time I worked with the Masterful Aronld Morris who's knife commercials are copied to this day.On a personal note to have worked with him channeled my work profession as a gidget worker. Most importantly all tools or props without fail had to be in correct position no excuses. Needless to say Billy adapted that lesson .His big chance came with the fairs again many people but one needed to escape the ship of fools and bigger money.I knew he was married but hadn't meant his wife at that time Dee and knew she was expecting wow he was so happy.As was fair season we had decided that I'd pick him up I lived in Phila, had a Big Lincoln Twn car and one things for sure Billy liked nice cars.I arrive in Mc Kees Rocks not in shock to find he was known by everyone.Upon my arrival I first meant Dee a very goodlooking woman with little Billy which just so happened that the nexted day was his First birthday unfortunately we had to be in Columbus Ohio,we would be on road.It was both of their insistance I sleep on couch and did.His wife made a great meal .Their small apartment was decorated beautifully one bed room .Shortly after dinner Billy had to run last minute errands so Dee and I watch tv and little Billy slept in crib in bedroom she went to bed and I fell asleep.I awoke to Dee Screaming at Billy and I can still hear it (Whatever am I going to do childrens party at 3:00 in afternoon .I cautiously entered the kitchen their was Billy covered in paint from head to toe sitting in middle of floor.He felt so bad about not being able to be home he painted the kitchen aqua just one problem Dee didn't like frig/Stove painted.Whilst at it also painted Hallway and bathroom including tub.She wasn't happy. I intervined by calming Dee ran out to car and went down to gas station and bought a gallon of gas and removed paint from appliances .We then grabbed what he had half packed including wet cloths out of washer that Dee had been doing for him jumped in car for Ohio,little Billy had his B-day.There are so many stories that could be told.In mention should be told of his generosity kindness and love for family Debra and daugther Elizabeth, friends Jamie . I don't think I'll ever meet such a man and friend in my life time again and so I say your bally/Tip will be with me forever.Till we meet Sleeping giant. Billy Carroll

Anonymous said...

Years ago, I managed to score a second spot in the january Toronto Home Show, for the Washmatik. I worked the Wash myself, but knew Billy would be better (always!) and I could work the other joint I had, with carpet cleaner. It was pretty last minute but I phoned Billy and asked if he would come; to my delight he did. And he wouldn't let me lift a finger to set it up or tear it down- he did the whole thing himself. He was a Prince.