Sunday, January 29, 2012

Izmir, Turkey

The city of Izmir is, like Istanbul,  a wonderful blend of old and new. I really enjoyed Izmir. And also like Istanbul, it has a 'buzz';  you're never quite sure what's going to happen next. 
Here's a cafe in the bazaar. I love the riot of colours and textures. If this doesn't appeal to you, just go out to the main street and you'll find a Starbucks.
When you escape the temptations of the bazaar (and oh! what temptations there are! I could have shopped for Britain. Indeed, I tried), it's a short walk to the seafront.
You can sit and watch the ferries enter the harbour.
Sunset.
And back in the city, here come the cars.

3 comments:

locationgoddess said...

What an interesting looking city. I would have spent hours at that cafe. Hours!

peacesojourner said...

Great photos as usual - thanks for sharing them. Are these from your earlier trip or have you been there lately? Can't keep up with your travels :-)

Maggie's Magic Pantry said...

Thanks! This was back in October 2011. I'm about ready to put on my travelling shoes again :-)